A court in Russian-occupied eastern Ukraine has sentenced two former members of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to 13 years in prison. They allegedly shared information about Luhansk’s military and equipment with the US government, Russian authorities said. The organization, on the other hand, speaks of fabricated accusations.
Dmitry Shabanov and Mikhail Petrov were arrested together last April. The separatist authorities accuse Shabanov of having provided the CIA with information about separatist troop movements since August last year. At that time, he worked as a security assistant for the OSCE at the Stakhanavoskaya base.
According to the Russian authorities, Shabanov was recruited in 2016 by a former officer of the Ukrainian SBU and a CIA agent. Petrov is said to have already agreed to cooperate with foreign services, it said. As punishment, the two men have now been sentenced to 13 years in prison.
OSCE: “Unlawful Arrest”
In Luhansk and Donetsk, a total of four local OSCE employees are said to have been arrested. The organization is also concerned about the fate of other employees. She denied the allegations. The employees were punished for performing their duties in the Special Observation Mission. It was a wrongful arrest and trumped-up charges.
The OSCE mission began deployment in eastern Ukraine in 2014 and was in Donetsk and Luhansk until the war began on February 24, 2022.
I’m Wayne Wickman, a professional journalist and author for Today Times Live. My specialty is covering global news and current events, offering readers a unique perspective on the world’s most pressing issues. I’m passionate about storytelling and helping people stay informed on the goings-on of our planet.