Plumes of smoke floated over the center of St. Veit on Friday afternoon. A private sauna was on fire in an apartment building.
In an apartment on the third floor, the sauna was actually only used as a storage room, but started burning anyway around 4 pm. “In addition to junk, there were several plastic objects stored in the sauna that caught fire,” explains Markus Korath, commander of the St. Veit fire brigade. The four residents, aged between 20 and 28, tried to bring the fire under control on their own, but were unsuccessful.
Fortunately, the alerted fire brigades in St. Veit, St. Donat and Obermühlbach/Schaumboden were able to quickly extinguish the fire and prevent it from spreading to other rooms and apartments. However, the entire wood paneling had to be opened with a chainsaw to extinguish any embers. The four men were taken to St. Veit hospital with suspected smoke inhalation.