The area of the Ukrainian Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) Zaporizhia is said to have been fired upon again. There were eight pieces on Monday, Russian ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov reported. The radiation is still normal.
No corresponding information has come out of Kiev. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has not yet confirmed the new artillery bombardment of the nuclear power plant. Four inspectors had checked the largest European nuclear power plant for damage on Monday and then reported that the nuclear power plant had remained largely intact. The facility had previously been hit by artillery shells dozens of times on Saturday and Sunday. The Russian and Ukrainian military blame each other for this.
Little hope for conservation area
Moscow says the Ukrainian side is behind the latest attack. On the day of the special inspection, eight large-caliber shells were fired at an industrial part of the power plant, ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said. With regard to a protection zone, there is “no significant progress,” added Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov. IAEA chief Rafael Grossi has been calling for months for a protection zone around the nuclear power plant, which is in a war zone and is occupied by Russian troops. The Russian government is demanding the withdrawal of Ukrainian army heavy weapons from the area.
Damage to energy systems
The Ukrainian grid operator Ukrenergo, meanwhile, reported “colossal damage” to the power plants. At the same time, the company stressed that it is working on conditions that will allow people to stay in Ukraine during the winter. Calls for evacuation are inappropriate.
I am Wallace Jones, an experienced journalist. I specialize in writing for the world section of Today Times Live. With over a decade of experience, I have developed an eye for detail when it comes to reporting on local and global stories. My passion lies in uncovering the truth through my investigative skills and creating thought-provoking content that resonates with readers worldwide.